Saturday, March 28, 2015

S.O.S. What we call Sh*t On A Shingle or Creamed Chipped Beef

S.O.S. was a staple in my house when I was growing up.  My Gramma Donovan made it, my Dad, along with other relatives on both sides of my family. It's really easy to make once you do it a few times.  It has simple ingredients and it's very filling.  Sometimes we would have it with a fried egg on the side for breakfast or even for lunch or supper-dinner.  We call it supper here in New England.  It's versatile and you can exchange the dried beef for cooked hamburger.  Just chop up the hamburger with a spatula when frying. Drain the oil off and follow the directions as given.  I also have used caramelized onions or even roasted garlic and added them in to the recipe.  I try to switch it up once in a while. I add peas to my recipe. If you don't like them just leave them out.  I also make home made biscuits, you can buy the store brought brands that's fine. Which ever way you choose is up to you.  I like all of the above. My family always made it without peas and used toast.  Don't fret over the fats used in this recipe, you get at least 6-hearty servings depending on how much you pour over your biscuits or toast.  And a rule of thumb....everything in moderation. This got it's name because the dried beef laid in the sh*t sauce and looked like little shingles.

What You Will Need:
Measuring Cup
Measuring Spoons
Whisk
Baking Sheet lined with Parchment Paper if you are baking biscuits
Large Cast Iron Skillet, if you don't have one, a regular frying pan is fine.
Spatula
Knife

Ingredients:
1-Package Dried Sliced Beef (Normally it comes in 4.5 oz either in a jar or a foil type package)
16-Ounces Green Peas frozen or fresh is fine
1-Cup Butter
1-Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1-Teaspoon Salt (I use finally ground Sea Salt)
1-Cup Bacon Fat (If you don't have any just add extra butter to the Roux)
6-Cups of Whole Milk
1-Cup of All-Purpose Unbleached Flour
1-Dash of Paprika
6-8 Slices of Toast or 6-8 Biscuits.  **Do this last.**

Directions:
First rinse the dried beef under warm water for about 20-30 seconds, this removes excess salt. Trust me, it's salty.  Rinse each piece and when you are done, clump them back together into a stack and squeeze the water out of them. Taste a piece of the beef to see if it is still too salty, if it is, rinse and then squeeze the excess water out once again. Blot the beef dry with a paper towel. Now, make two stacks of the beef.  Put them on a cutting board and cut them in to 5-strips horizontally, more or less. Do this to both stacks. Then turn the cutting board around and cut strips vertically.  This will make small square pieces. Now separate the beef squares, I put them between my two palms and rub my hands together. Set aside.

 




















Next, if you are using frozen peas put them in a colander and run them under warm water.  When peas are frozen they tend to get some ice particles inside of the bag, you don't want added water in your sauce.  Once they are rinsed, shake the colander a few times to get rid of the excess water.  Set aside.

Put your frying pan-skillet on the stove top medium heat.  Add your bacon fat and then your butter, let the butter melt, when it turns a golden brown color add in the flour a little at a time and whisk. Continue adding the flour a little at a time, continue whisking until all of the flour is incorporated into the melted butter. This will form a paste so don't panic, it's suppose to do this. This is called a Roux.
 


Add in the milk one cup at a time while continually whisking.  Add another cup of milk and continue whisking, keep doing this until all of the milk is added and the roux becomes silky smooth. 


Add the peas into the mixture which is now called a Bechamel Sauce. Stir them in well so they are all covered by the sauce. Add in your sea salt and black pepper. Continue stirring.



Add in the beef squares, stir until everything is well blended. Using a spatula, keep stirring for about 10-minutes until all of the flavors are married. Using a clean tasting spoon, aka: teaspoon, taste and see if the mixture needs more salt and pepper.  You can always add but you can not take away.  I keep 3-tasting spoons on the side of my stove every time I cook. I use one, then put it in the sink or dishwasher. If something needs more spices or herbs, I add them in and taste it again. Always taste your food, you don't want it served bland or over spiced.


Serve over toast or hot out of the oven biscuits.  Add a light sprinkling of Paprika which is optional.
Shown here are two biscuits open-faced with my home made Cranberry Sauce which is also listed here on my blog.  






















Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment