Friday, March 20, 2015

My New England Clam Chowder... Or As We Say Here "Chowda."

What You Will Need:
Large Pot
Measuring Spoons
Measuring Cup
Potato Peeler or Knife
Colander
Baking Sheet
Aluminum Foil
Oven Mitts
Tongs or Large Fork
Plate
Paper Towels
Large Skillet
Whisk

Ingredients:

4-Pounds of washed, peeled and roughly cut Potatoes.
1-Pound Kernel Corn.
2-Large Yellow Onions, roughly chopped.
1-Pound of Bacon.
2-Pounds of chopped Clams, washed. **Sometimes they still have sand in them.**
26-ounces of Clam or Fish Stock.
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste. I use 4-Pepper Blend and put it in the Pepper Mill and grind it.
1-Tblsp Sweet Basil, you can use the dried.
1-Tbls Parsley, you can use the dried.
1-Tbls Garlic Powder, or you can roast a whole Garlic head with some Olive in the oven until soft.
1/2-Tbls Old Bay Seasoning.

*Note: Adjust the seasonings to your own person liking*

Directions: Boil your Potatoes in salted water until soft, but not mush, you want them to still be just a little firm. Drain. Now in a large pot add in the Potatoes, Corn, Onions, Fish or Clam Stock, and Clams, put this on a low heat.

Now.. this is what I do and it's less mess. Put your Bacon on an Aluminum Foil lined baking sheet. Don't stretch and pull, just line the strips side-by-side. Put the baking sheet in a cold oven and turn on to 400-degrees. Bake roughly for about 20-minutes or until golden brown. When done, remove the bacon with tongs or fork, put on a plate that is lined with paper towels to absorb the grease. Break up the Bacon and put in to the pot with the other ingredients.

Now you need to make the white sauce. I don't have the exact measurements, again I do everything by eye and taste. You need to make a Roux, (Pronounced Roo) this is equal parts Butter to Flour. I use a large skillet when making this, you can use a large sauce pan if you like. On medium heat, add the butter and melt in to the pan. Now add in the flour. I use a whisk and blend the two together. This will turn in to a yellow paste which is fine. Now you have to make a Bechamel Sauce. All that is, is adding milk to your Rue. I use whole milk, again I don't have the exact measurements you will have to do this by eye. I add a little milk to the roux a little at a time while continually whisking. This should start to form a thick white gravy - Bechamel sauce. If it is still thin, keep adding flour and then milk. I also throw in another knob - tablespoon of butter. I add Salt and Pepper to taste. You need enough of this Bechamel Sauce to cover your items in the large pot. Add this Bechamel Sauce to the Pot of cooking Clams, Corn, Onions, etc.,. Stir slowly and gently, if you don't you will break the Potatoes. Keep this on a low heat or it will turn the potatoes to mush and make the clams tough. Add in the herbs and spices, again I don't have exact measurements so you will have to do it by taste. I usually line up several tasting spoons on the side, which makes it easier to do. I normally cook this for about 30-minutes or so.

That's it. Now this is going to make a lot of Clam Chowder, so be warned. I don't know how to cook small. LOL! Enjoy! The completed New England Clam Chowder with a warm slice of Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread. I have posted the recipe for the Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread on my blog as well.



Print Friendly and PDF



No comments:

Post a Comment