Friday, March 20, 2015

Fried Cod With Sweet Pepper Relish Tarter Sauce

What You Will Need:
Cast Iron Skillet
Paper Towels
Tongs
Measuring Spoons
Measuring Cup
Small Bowl
Large Bowl


Ingredients:
3/4-Cups Unbleached Flour
2-Tablespoons Cornstarch
1/4-Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4-Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1-Teaspoon Granulated Garlic Powder
1-Teaspoon Paprika
3/4-Cup Water

Directions:
Sift together all dry ingredients.


 


Add water and mix well to make the batter. If it's too thick you can add a little more water.




Salt and pepper both sides of the fish.



Add 1-inch of  Vegetable or Peanut oil in a frying pan, I like using a cast iron skillet. Turn your          stove on to high heat. To tell if the oil is hot enough, put some water on your finger tips and let        the water drip in to the oil, the oil should bubble. If not, then the oil isn't hot enough. Wait a              couple of minutes longer and repeat with the water drop test again.  **Be careful that the hot oil        doesn't splash up and burn you.**




 Dredge (To dip and cover) the fish in the batter completely covering both sides evenly. Lift the            fish out of the bowl and let the batter drip for a second or two. Now add the fish slowly in to the          hot oil, slowly back to front. **Be careful this oil is hot!* Deep fry the fish until it is a nice golden      brown, 2-3 minutes each side.




Put the fish on a plate with either a clean brown paper bag or you can use a paper towel, either or is fine, now blot each side of the fish with another piece of brown paper bag or paper towel. This removes excess oil. Remove the paper bag or paper towel and discard.  Leave the fish on the plate and you can serve it now.



Fried Cod with Sweet Pepper Relish, Mashed Turnips and Red Garlic Mashed Potatoes sprinkled with dried chives. I didn't have fresh chives on hand.  


Sweet Pepper Jelly Tarter Sauce:
I had made fish a while back and I always make a tarter sauce to go with it. This time I had found myself without sweet pickle relish. I was going through my downstairs pantry trying to think of what I could use. Ta-dah! There it was....home made Sweet Pepper Jelly.  Why not, right?  It was either going to be really good or really bad. I had a 50/50-chance at this point.

Ingredients:
1/2-Cup Sweet Pepper Jelly *Store bought is fine, just make sure it has All-Natural Ingredients. Read the label.
1/2-Cup of All Natural Mayonnaise. All-Natural ingredients. Read the label.

Directions:
Mix the Sweet Pepper Jelly well. Serve over the fish or with whatever else you may put regular tarter sauce on.




My apologies for the pictures, I know they aren't that wonderful I am using my cell phone.

Print Friendly and PDF






No comments:

Post a Comment