Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Sweet And Spicy BBQ Sweet Potato Chips

I had 2-Sweet Potatoes sitting on the shelf in my root cellar and was trying to decide what to make with them?  Since they were starting to sprout eyes, I really didn't have a choice, do something with them or they would spoil or plant them, planting this late in the year wasn't an option. Ding...ding...ding... I came up with Sweet and Spicy BBQ Chips with my own seasonings. Admittedly a little bit of this and and a dash of that surprisingly enough turned out really well.  I have made home made french fries before but not potato chips, this was my first attempt.  Next time I will make more because they were really good.  Mine have no preservatives or anything unhealthy, just read the bags of chips that you purchase. If I can't pronounce the ingredients, or I don't know what they are, they stay on the grocery shelf.  Scratch cooking and baking really isn't that hard once you know the basics, and that's what I'm trying to share.  Like with all of my recipes, let me know if you made them and how you liked them.  😊

What You Will Need:
Large Plate
Large Zip Lock Bag
Vegetable Peeler
Sharp Knife or Mandolin *I used a knife this time*
Medium Bowl
Paper Towels
Electric Skillet or Frying Pan *I used the skillet*
Spider or Slotted Spoon *I used a Spider*
Candy Thermometer or Oil Thermometer


Ingredients:
2-Large Sweet Potatoes. Washed, peeled and thinly sliced in to coins - circles
1-Tablespoon "Brown Sugar & Bourbon Grill Mates Seasoning"
3-Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
1-Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
1-Tablespoon Granulated Onion Powder
1/2-Teaspoon Sea Salt Fine Crystals
2-Cups Pure Vegetable Oil



Directions:
Add the oil to the electric skillet. Set the temperature to 360-375 degrees, if the oil starts smoking dial the temperature back down. Use your thermometer to check the temperature. Cut the sweet potatoes into coins - circles, you can use a sharp knife or mandolin, set aside.  Put all of the dry ingredients into the zip lock bag, seal and shake mixing all of the ingredients together, set aside.



















Gently lay down each sweet potato coin into the hot oil, be very careful the oil is extremely hot and will splatter if you drop them in too quickly.  Add around 12 or so coins depending on the size of your electric skillet, don't over crowd. Fry for 2-3 minutes, when they're ready they'll turn a light golden brown color and the edges will curl up. Remove from the oil using the spider or slotted spoon, lay down on a paper towel and pat the excess oil off.  Place the chips into the zip lock bag with spices, close the bag and shake until both sides of the chip are evenly coated.  When adding the next batch of sweet potatoes, let the oil come back up to temperature before adding them into the oil. Repeat the processes until you have fried all of the chips.


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment