Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes

I'm one for trying to eat healthy and keeping as much nutrients in food as possible. For years I was taught that you peel and boil potatoes before you mashed them. I found on my own that you can microwave them with the skins on instead of boiling away nutrients.  I have also baked them in the oven and baked them on the BBQ grill with the top down giving them the same delicious results.  I'm sorry that I didn't do a step-by-step with this recipe, I'm sure it's pretty self explanatory, plus I got busy and forgot to take pictures. LOL! I had to really think about the measurements because I normally just eyeball (know what it looks like) because I have made them so often over the years. I also have a tasting spoon to taste after they are whipped.  Rule of thumb... "You can always add but you can't take away."

What You Will Need:
Measuring Spoons
Measuring Cup
Potato Masher
Sharp Knife
Large Bowl
Hand Mixer
Large Microwavable Plate
Fork

Ingredients:
8-Small Potatoes or 4-Large, Washed And Dried (2-Pounds Maybe?)
1 1/2-Cups Half and Half Warmed.  *Half and Half is sold here in containers, it's a mixture of half heavy (whole) cream and half whole milk. If you can't find it just do the half half measure of both.*
1-Teaspoon Sea Salt Or To Taste
1/2- Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper Or To Taste
1 1/2- Teaspoons Granulated Garlic or Roasted Garlic *This time I opted not to use it due to the meal I was serving it with.* Or To Taste
1/2 Stick Butter,  Room Temperature.
4-Ounces Cream Cheese, Room Temperature
Chives *I used dried this time*( Enough to Garnish the Top)

*Note: You can add more butter and cream cheese in later for your desired preference.*

Directions:
Place the washed potatoes on the microwaveable plate, pierce holes across the top of each potato with a fork.  Microwave for about 10-minutes or until fork tender.  When you can handle the potatoes, transfer in to the large bowl.  Cut the potatoes in to slices with the sharp knife, then mash with the potato masher.  Add in all of the above ingredients except the Half and Half.  Whip using the hand mixer until smooth, or leave some lumps, I make them both ways.  Now gradually add in the half and half, whip slowly. Continue adding in the half and half until it's the consistency that you prefer. Some people like their mashed potatoes a little more loose so use more half and half and some like them a bit more stiff, so use less half and half.  Top with chives and serve hot.

I had served these mashed potatoes with Green Beans Almondine, my home made New England Baked Beans and Rosemary Center Cut Pork Roast.  I will get those recipes and step-by-step instructions on here as time permits.





















Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment