Monday, December 18, 2017

Chili Con Carne In The Crock Pot - Slow Cooker

Here's another hearty stick-to-your ribs meal for a cold winter's night.  I serve it with either my home made Jalapeno Corn Bread which I have that recipe listed here, or my Pumpkin Corn Bread which I'll be posting as time permits, both are delicious and easy as sin to make.  I try to do canning-processing of my own tomatoes, this year I wasn't able to, so store bought will do just fine.

This is mildly spicy with a small kick to it, if you like your chili more spicy, increase the Chili Powder, Cayenne and add 1/2-Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes. You can also add in a small Jalapeno Pepper, diced and seeded, leave the seeds if you want it even hotter.  My son's taste buds are more sadistic than mine are, he likes it hot, the hotter the better. He adds Hot Sauce to everything, me.... I prefer finishing my meal with my lips and tongue still in tact and not sweating profusely seeing my life flash before my eyes.  LOL!  *If you find this is still too spicy for you, stir in a tablespoon or so of sour cream, it will cut the heat.*


What You Will Need:
Slow Cooker - Crock Pot
Measuring Cup and Spoons
Sharp Knife
Can Opener *Electric or hand*
Non-Stick Skillet (Frying Pan) or whatever you have
Tasting Spoon
Wooden Spoon

Ingredients:
2-Pounds Ground Beef 85% Lean
2-28 Ounce Cans Crushed Chunky Tomatoes, cut up.
1-14.5 Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
2-Medium Yellow Onions, Peeled and Chopped
1-Green Pepper, Seeded and Diced
1-Orange Pepper, Seeded and Diced
1-15.5 Ounce Can Red Kidney Beans, Drained
1-15.5 Ounce Can White Cannellini Beans, Drained
2-Tablespoons Unbleached Sugar *White is fine if you don't have it*
3-Teaspoons Sea Salt, ground.  *Regular table salt is fine if you don't have it*
2-Teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
2-Tablespoons Smoked Paprika
2-Tablespoons Granulated Garlic
2-Tablespoons Chili Powder
2-Tablespoons Tomato Paste
1 1/2-Teaspoons Ground Cumin
1/8-Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Shredded Cheese, chopped chives or Sour Cream to top *Optional*




Set your stove top for medium heat, saute the onions, green and orange peppers until the onions are translucent, then put them into your slow cooker.




Now in the same frying pan, brown your ground beef adding the salt, black pepper, cumin, tomato paste and granulated garlic, mix well breaking up the ground beef into minced pieces with your wooden spoon, once browned, put into the crock pot. There shouldn't be much fat from the ground beef due to the lean percentage. I don't drain it off because it gives more flavor.




Add the remaining ingredients into the crock pot. give a couple of stirs with the wooden spoon. Cook in Crock Pot - Slow Cooker covered for 5-6 hours set the temperature on low. In about 2-hours use your tasting spoon to see if you need more spices, if not, just leave it alone until it finishes cooking.




I put out in small serving bowls, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped chives, chopped jalapeno pepper and hot sauce for topping.  You can also serve this over rice if you like, I serve it both ways.






Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment