Thursday, August 9, 2018

Beet Relish

Admittedly I am not a fan of beets, when I was a kid my grand parents on both sides and my dad made them often.  To me they tasted like dirt, how our taste buds change as we become adults.  This actually is really good and tastes nothing like dirt. 😊  I was first introduced to this relish by a friend that owns several hot dog stands and he serves it on his hot dogs.  I searched and searched and played around with different recipes until I found one that tasted close to his, the recipe was never given to him, just several jars of beet relish, "hey.... now that's not fair!" You can use this on hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.,. This is so easy to make you won't believe it.  You can process - can this relish with a water bath or pressure cooker.  I make a few jars and keep it in the refrigerator, I wouldn't keep it longer than 2-wks due to it not being processed-canned. I actually doubt it will last that long it's that good. This recipe is for 3/4 of a Quart Jar.

What You Will Need:
Quart Size Mason Jar Sterilized
Funnel Sterilized
Large Pan
Measuring Cup
Measuring Spoons
Rubber Dark Color Spatula or Wooden Spoon *The spoon might stain*
Paper Towels or Old Hand Towel *Optional beets stain counter tops.*
Rubber Gloves *Optional beets stain your hands*
Box Grater
Sharp Knife
Vegetable Peeler

Ingredients:
4-Cups Raw Beets, Washed, Peeled and Grated
1/2-Cup Apple Cider Vinegar + 1-Tablespoon
1 1/4-Teaspoons Salt *I used Sea Fine Salt*
1/2-Teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/2-Teaspoon Ground Allspice
2-Tablespoons Pure Honey
1-Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
2-Teaspoons Dried Yellow Mustard Seeds
1/2-Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1 1/4-Cups Water


Directions:
Put on your rubber gloves and washing the beets.  Cut off the tops, peel and grate all of them.  I placed several paper towels under my box grater and also on my counter top to protect from staining.  Place all of the ingredients in to the large pot, place on to your stove and set the temperature to high-heat. Stir all of the ingredients with a spatula or wooden spoon until the honey dissolves. Now increase the heat to a boil, once it boils, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about an hour and a half or until the liquid is almost gone in the pot.  I stir a few times during the cooking process. Test the beets, they should be tender not mushy.  Remove from the stove and place on a heat-resistant surface. Taste the beets to see if they need more seasonings, everyone has their own different tastes, you may want to leave it as is, or add some more of the above seasonings.


Now, place the funnel over the top of your sterilized mason jar, scoop the beet relish in to the funnel. Once the jar has all of the relish inside, tightly seal the jar with the lid.  Let the jar cool because it is hot.  Once cooled, place in your refrigerator, I like to let it set and get cold for at least 24-hours so all of the flavors meld together. Suggestion: I served my beet relish over all-beef natural hot dogs with a side of blue  potato salad.  Petite blue potatoes are delicious and give a pop of color. Serve and enjoy!




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment