Wednesday, September 28, 2016

RIP My Boy Koda The Best Worst Dog

Two weeks ago my dog Koda was becoming increasingly more frail he was having issues standing, he had to be carried outside to do his business. He would come back into the house only to sleep most of the day away.  Koda was becoming disoriented and on the morning of September 14th, he couldn't stand up, he gave me the most  pitiful look I have ever seen.  My eyes filled with tears and my heart was aching, I knew what I had to do.  I called our veterinarian and told her everything that was going on with him, she agreed with me about needing to put him to sleep, a decision that wasn't taken lightly,  he was nearly 16-yrs old. Koda was the best worst dog if that makes any sense?  I bred his mother and delivered him along with his siblings, he was born breach and not breathing. I had to do CPR on him and luckily I was able to saved him.  A month after his birth I had noticed one of his back legs, wasn't growing properly it had a slight bend.  The vet gave him an examination and said his legs were fine and they could possibly straighten as he grows, if not, he will have a leg that is slightly bent and he could possibly get arthritis as he matures.  I decided to hold him back and keep him, my son Jarrett named him Koda, this was to be his dog because his sisters each had their own.

Koda was a gorgeous black and white American Bulldog, kind and loving in every way, he was smart as a whip, but he would do the most stupid and annoying things.  I'm not sure if it was by accident or design?  He had a mind of his own at times, a true to form American Bulldog trait. He grew to be the dog from hell. He would go outside to do his business, come back inside and still manage to pee or poop on something, the floor, the laundry basket, the kids' toys, shoes, everything was fair game when he squatted.  I thought he would eventually out grow this behavior, wrong!  He continued doing this well into his golden years and right up until his death. You have no idea how many times I cursed him and threatened to introduce him to God each time he had done this, along with all of his other destructive behaviors that he could dish out.  Koda would find the dirty clothes basket, knock it over and eat holes in the clothes. He was especially fond of my daughters' and my panties, a real pantie connoisseur of sorts. Shoes were also another thing that he found delectable, don't eat the older ones, eat the brand new ones, they taste even better my boy. Ughhhh!  He was a real Houdini, an escape artist.  We have a large quarter-acre of property with two large 12x12 chain link kennels.  Somehow he learned that if he jumped up, he could pop the latch with his front paws, which opened the kennel door and out he ran. We would look for him for hours and hours, we'd put in a call to the local Animal Control Officer letting them know that he was out gallivanting again, and to please pick him up or call us if they found him. Thankfully he always did make his way safely home. He would bring home the most unusual things with him. One time it was a turkey leg, no not one from the grocery store, a real honest to goodness turkey leg, feathers, feet and all. I have no idea where he found that. Another time he came home with a baby blanket, a soccer ball, someone's bathing suit, the list is long through the years.

I have had my own adventures where I would be walking him to the kennel on a leash and he would just bolt chasing after a squirrel, chipmunk or bird.  I would lose my footing and down I would go landing on my backside while being dragged behind by my 90-pound hound from hell, my legs out in front of me holding on for dear life. I actually found it amusing once I collected myself and wasn't upset with him anymore. I could never stay mad for long, he would always give me this goofy look, bounce around wagging his tail. Besides, who else but me could go grass ass skiing while being towed behind by a dog?   Through the years I just gave up on him ever being the model perfect dog. I came to the realization this is him, love him, hate him or otherwise.  Of course I loved him, it was his mischievous destructive behavior I could do without. I have Koda's sister Lily and they are total opposites.  She is non-destructive and quiet, but she also has a mind of her own and she would join her brother any chance she could on their houdini escapades for hours and hours.

I could go on for hours and hours, actually years and years about all of the stories I have about him.  I sit here fondly remembering him driving me mad and how much I miss the old bugger.  The day I took him to the vet's, I sat on the floor and he laid down on a large dog pillow that they had given him.  He put his head on my lap, I petted and hugged him, telling him what a good boy he was and how much I loved him. The tears just came like a flood, I couldn't stop crying, that's when he put his front paw onto my lap, in my mind it was him saying he will be okay and it's time to let him go.  I held him tightly as he closed his eyes and drew his last breath, that's when he crossed over the Rainbow Bridge.  I was blessed to bring him into this world and blessed to see him leave.  Good bye to the best worst dog I have ever known, I will miss you.  xx



                            Koda on the left and his sister Lily, photos taken last year.








No comments:

Post a Comment